Thursday, November 25, 2010

Food coma

omg, food coma.

We had a crudite/cheese/fruit course, and antipasti (olives, sopressata, bread, eggplant, shitake mushrooms, mushroom caps), pasta with lobster sauce, then the turkey with stuffing, sweet potatoes, and a bunch of other stuff I'm blanking on, then a salad course, then pumpkin bread pudding, cheesecake, brownies and coffee for dessert.

It doesn't sound like as much food when I list it.  But I assure you, it was. Actually, it was a fairly small meal, comparatively. (Christmas Eve's Feast of the Seven Fishes is a dinner that last about six hours and you won't eat for two days after.) Greg took a break after the antipasti, came back to the table, and cried "someone took away my first dinner! I'm not ready for second dinner yet!"  When we were eating dessert, he came back for "third dinner. Plus dessert.  Then some more third dinner." As we were cleaning up, he said, "how about some more third dinner?  I want more meat."

Since our families are about two hours apart, we used to have a first Thanksgiving dinner, then drive to the next Thanksgiving dinner.  But then we had kids and decided to split up the holidays on a schedule.  Thanksgiving was my family, Easter was my in-laws.  About two years ago, however, we ended up at my family for Easter, and I had forgotten how much fun it was for kids.  I have a zillion cousins so there is an Easter Egg hunt, and an egg-throwing contest from the second floor.  So, this year we decided to switch it up and spend Thanksgiving with my inlaws, and Easter with my family.

My inlaws are amazing cooks.  I haven't had my mother in law's stuffing in about five years, and OMG SO FREAKING GOOD.  But, food coma.  I've learned my lesson a long time ago--its a rookie mistake to eat too much antipasti.  Pace yourself, there are always at least 3 courses for holiday dinners, and more food than you can shake a stick at--but I stuffed myself today like I haven't in a long time.  I even held back on the lobster pasta, knowing how much more was to come.  But I wished I had worn my eating pants.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!