Sunday, March 27, 2011

craft closet

We live in a pretty spacious apartment.  There are plenty of closets, and the rooms are large.  But what I really want is just one more room---a room that is mine, and only mine.  I've talked about this before; my room will have large floral curtains, a white lacquer parsons desk from West Elm, and an Expedit shelf unit.

But today I am attempting to finish a project, and I can't find half the supplies I need.  My fabrics and fabric-y stuff are kept in a deep narrow closet in a plastic bag beneath all our cleaning supplies and behind the vacuum and brooms. Accessing them involves stepping into the closet and wrestling the vacuum cleaner for top position.

My other supplies are kept in the turret attic.  The outside of the foyer looks like a castle turret, and there is a small, octagonal space above the foyer that I use for storage, and it has joists and a weird platform thingy in it, and is only accessible from the back of the coat closet.  It is filled to the brim with tools, chairs, side tables, painting supplies and decorative items that aren't being used.  Accessing anything in here requires tiptoeing on top of paint cans, and unloading half the chairs into the foyer to get the far wall.

I want all my supplies in one place.  I want all my stuff in pretty baskets.  I want all my stuff locked in a cabinet so that no one else can take my stuff and forget to put it back.

I want to see all my pretty fabrics.

 I'd like to add the Hemnes glass front cabinet to my office, so I could line up all the fabrics and see their prettiness while I wait for inspiration to strike.  I saw (what appears to be a) Hemnes cabinet on the blog August Fields.  Doesn't that look perfect?



images via August Fields
Next house, I hope.














3 comments:

  1. I share your dream. I also want a room for my treadmill and a guest room and a play room and a basement.
    Also, your yellow fabric reminded me that because I am insane, today when I was wandering around Target I took a cell phone picture of the yellow diamond patterned shower curtain they have so I could sent it to you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fabric selection is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I think I know which curtain you are talking about--it also comes in navy and green? I have looked in every Target up here but they don't have the it in yellow. You can send the pic to trappedinnorthjersey at gmail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!