Wednesday, April 11, 2018

One Room Challenge, week 2: Painting



For week two of the One Room Challenge I have some painting progress for you. 

Since this is no longer a dining room, as it was when the house was originally built, we ripped down the chair molding and painted the room white.  For months we had a bracket in the wall that we couldn't remove (see it above the window in the upper left?), but luckily the painter was able to get it out and patch the hole it left behind.








When we moved in last summer, the entire house was painted Navajo White with miles upon miles of pine trim and honey oak cabinets and badly stained mahogany closet doors, and every room in the house had a country plaid or country floral or country something.   Some people like that look.  I....don't.  

For new readers, last summer we moved from California to New Jersey two weeks after I had a spine fusion surgery.  I was not/am still not allowed to paint anything.  I can't get my arms over my head much, so I don't know how I would paint anything anyhow.  This has been incredibly frustrating, because Old Uninjured Me would have had this entire house painted from top to bottom in a few weeks.  New Weak Me has been spent a lot of time on the sofa.  

Thus, we decided to hire out having the house painted.  Since paying someone else to do stuff you can do yourself for free costs $$$$$$, we decided to start with only painting the first floor walls, baseboards, and door casings.  To save money, we decided not to have the windows or doors painted yet.  

I wanted to paint the whole interior of the house the same color, and I wanted to have very very very light gray walls with bright white trim.  

Did you know that Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams paint samples costs $8?  My plan was to go to Home Depot, have them color match the BM and SW paint samples in their $4 samples, then narrow it down to the ones I really liked and get those in the actual BM and SW paint samples to be sure it was the right color, so that I wasn't spending gazillions of dollars on paint samples. 


I went through 52 gray paint samples.  Every single one of them was WRONG WRONG WRONG.  




Apparently I don't like gray.  

I gave up on gray and went with a very light creamy white for the walls (Sherwin Williams Westhighland White) and Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace for the trim.  

But you already had a yellowy white in the original paint, you are thinking.  

NO THIS ONE IS BETTER.  See?



Or as my children said "....it looks exactly the same."  

The Mister noted that the new bright white looked SO FABULOUS on the door casings, that clearly, we should go ahead and paint the windows.



 Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I booked that immediately.  Luckily no one from Apartment Therapy will be reading about this wood desecration. 




I feel perhaps my pictures would be more majestic had I actually taken some with the intent to publish them on the blog....except I took zero before pictures, the ORC wasn't even on my radar last month when all this painting was going on, and all the before/during pictures I have were progress pictures that I took on my phone to text to my husband.  Hence the boxes of girl scout cookies front and center.  I suppose I could move all the new furniture out and take some posed progress pictures, but that requires a level of commitment I do not currently possess.  Let me know if you want to buy some girl scout cookies.  

6 comments:

  1. It looks so much better. I even had to scroll back up a couple times because it made your furniture look new. Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! It really has made a difference in making the room look cleaner and fresher.

      Delete
  2. It looks very nice. I like the woodwork to be stained/natural in period homes, but I think in your case painting the trim is an improvement.

    I am glad you did not go with grey - it is used so much and after such a long, grey winter, I much prefer white or some 'happier' color.

    I am glad to see you are posting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried so hard to like gray! So many design blogs say don't use white in a north-facing room (which our parlor is), and I tried so many grays in there....and I just reverted my usual linen-esque white, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

      I would love to post some more, I've done so much work on the first floor...and I took practically no before pictures. :-/

      Delete
  3. I can see the difference! And I think whites and grays are really challenging to get right. Can't tell you how many whites we went through to get the one we finally landed on. And even now, sometimes I think, nah, not quite right. So happy to see a post from you. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up going with the third white we tried, because the painter was coming the next day and I just didn't have another two weeks to try 53 whites. It looks fresh and clean, and frankly, painting the trim white is really what made all the difference.

      Delete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!