Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Dining room: rug, chandelier, curtains and table

Getting a rug for the dining room was a turning point for this room's design.  The rug really pulls the room together and makes it look finished.

I have long wanted a rug in the dining room, but that seemed ridiculous when my children were younger.  My kids are a bit older now (8 to 12), and we still get a decent amount of food on the rug.  However, I love having it, despite the not-negligible amount of work it entails.




I purchased it on ebay. I deliberately looked for a 10x16 rug that was not in great shape, since I expect it will get lots of wear and food on it.  Low pile, uneven wear and abrash were fine with me--I wanted something super cheap.  I also knew that whatever I bought would probably also need to be cleaned (in the NYC area expect to spend around $200-$500 for a cleaning, depending on the size of the rug), so that would add to the overall price of the rug.

*******

The original chandelier was not centered in the room, presumably because the original room would have been the living room.  However, it was hung towards the end of the room, which is weird--it wasn't even centered over the former owner's table. 


When we bought a new chandelier I had the electrician move the chandelier to the center of the table.





The windows got a pelmet and some greek trim curtains.  This is the same window treatment as in the parlor: a pelmet kit with Ikea Ritva curtains and some greek key trim.  Since this is the only window in the house that doesn't have furniture in front of it, it was my only opportunity to use drapes.  Hemming those curtains evenly was a wee bit beyond my skill set and took a few days.  My sister drove two hours to my house to help me thread the sewing machine. (Thanks sister!)




*******

Last but not least, the table and chairs. I am sporadically and half-heartedly looking for another, larger table. This one comfortably seats 10, but I would like one that seats 12 or more.  Unfortunately large tables are crazy expensive.   I also haven't really decided what style of table I want, so this may take a while.

Alternatively, we could have this table refinished.  One end of the table is in okay shape, the other end of the table has a significant "patina" of wear. 


And by "patina" I mean "looks like we stab the table with cutlery and iron our clothes on it." 


Those white spots are hot French toast served on paper plates while I was not at home. 

Of greater urgency is the chair situation.  We have seven chairs at a table for ten.  I accidentally spilled white paint on one of the chairs, which did not improve its appearance.  I am actively searching for either a set of 10 matching chairs, or a set of 8 matching chairs and a separate pair of captains chairs for the head and foot of the table. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the rug. And the wall of books. That must've been some pretty hot French toast. Dang! There's something really nice about having a table that's got patina. Don't have to worry about wrecking it. Looking forward to seeing what you find. Was nice to catch up with you--been drowning in my own move.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!