Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Dining room, rearranged

I've been on a rearranging kick.  All over the house.  I call it "free redecorating."
The dining room, previously:


For a few days I repainted the cobalt dresser and moved in the peacock mirror (see here).  And now:


The white Billy bookshelves with doors were previously on the other side of the room near the kitchen; they hold our excess kitchen stuff like baking utensils, coffee pot, children's dishes, etc.  They are much narrower than the dresser that used to be there, which makes the space feel bigger.  The white also feels lighter.

I also took down all the curtains.  There is much more light in here.  I really love curtains, honestly, and have a million pairs, but on both sides of the room the curtains were constantly trapped and pulled by things in front of the window (a bunch of electronics and printers on the dining side, a sofa in the eat-in nook on the other side of the room.)


The peacock mirror and the fake Monet used to be in the playroom, but I think they work nicely in here.  The garland is a paper chain that the kids made.  We filled each paper strip out on Thanksgiving of things we are thankful for, and then made them into a paper chain that we will use for Christmas.


You might notice I got rid of the uncomfortable tolix chairs and replaced them with rusty red cushy comfy chairs.  They are so much nicer to sit in.  Do I wish they were in a different fabric? Yes, but the rusty red complements the sad beige walls and the chairs were for cheap at a thrift store, so I am enjoying the cushiness.


I had plans to make some new art for this spot, but I've decided I really like the peacock mirror and candlestick lamps there.  When I bought the canvas at Michaels to make the new art, an entire stack of canvases fell on my head, so I think the universe was telling me that the peacock mirror looked just fine.


Dilemma: the white shield chairs are covered in a royal blue pleather that doesn't go in this room at all, but it is easy to clean and wipe off.  I could recover it in a different sad beige pleather.  However, I have in  my possession a piece of fabric that would perfectly complement this room:


Gold honeybees on a rusty red background. It is a beautiful piece of fabric, heavy and silky.  I bought it ten years ago for our very first condo for a window treatment that I never got around to making.  I have enough to cover both chair seats....but its a really nice piece of fabric and my children destroy everything. I guarantee it will be stained and gross in under six months.  On the other hand, I haven't used this piece of fabric in ten years and it is free.

I know you can iron on an oil-cloth like protector fabric--has anyone used that? Did it work? Or ruin the fabric?




11 comments:

  1. You know, I like the blue. I think it is fine. It is the blinding white of the painted wood which is difficult. That red is nice. I've no idea about the protection stuff--all I have experience with is stainguard (te spray on stuff) but it may be banned in California? I love your thrift chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white isn't blinding in person. The pictures look blown out because I can never get the camera settings right.

      Delete
  2. The room looks so much more serene now - I love it! Lamps look nice in green. And the blue on the chairs does not bother me one bit - I would leave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--it does look calmer and quieter, doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. I love all the light in that room! Daylight make even sad beige happier. I also love your happy new chairs. I don't know anything about protecting fabric, but I say go ahead and put it on those chairs. I think keeping a piece of fabric for 10 years might be kinda like never using the good china. Life's short. Your kids are more important than fabric, and your happiness is, too. If it will make you happier to see that fabric on those chairs than the blue, go ahead and put it on. And don't stress when your kids gunk it up. There will always be more fabric, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great example. You're right, I should use the fabric.

      Delete
  4. Please call the fake monet the phonet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha, the R family is strong and true in this one.

      Delete
  5. Please call the fake monet the phonet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really great! I know what you mean about kid-friendly fabric...that would make me not use the fabric, too. Could you use it on the lamp shades?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a thought! Maybe I'll just make a pillow for the sofa that's on the other side of the room.

      Delete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!