Wednesday, January 4, 2012

yellow bookshelves, Atlantic article


I love this bookshelf from the September issue of Better Homes and Gardens designed by Elaine Griffin.  Love it.  Love the happy yellow, the colorful selection of books, the tchochtkes, the art.  It is such a cheerful little vignette, isn't it?

via Lili & Mae
I feel the need to have something similar in my house.  Hmm, what can I paint bright yellow....

****************
I came across a  funny piece in The Atlantic that you may have already seen, seeing as it was written in 1997.  I didn't have children in 1997 so I may have skipped it at the time (and if you don't have children now you might not find it funny either), but I for one am constantly cleaning cereal and Ritz crackers off my carpet (and yelling "we eat at the table NOT IN THE LIVING ROOM" even though no one listens to my mighty pronouncements), so the opening lines had me at hello.  Here are a few snippets:

"Of the beasts of the field, and of the fishes of the sea, and of all foods that are acceptable in my sight you may eat, but not in the living room. Of the hoofed animals, broiled or ground into burgers, you may eat, but not in the living room. Of the cloven-hoofed animal, plain or with cheese, you may eat, but not in the living room. Of the cereal grains, of the corn and of the wheat and of the oats, and of all the cereals that are of bright color and unknown provenance you may eat, but not in the living room. Of the quiescently frozen dessert and of all frozen after-meal treats you may eat, but absolutely not in the living room. 
...
Leave the cat alone, for what has the cat done, that you should so afflict it with tape?
...
Sit just as I have told you, and do not lean to one side or the other, nor slide down until you are nearly slid away.  Heed me; for if you sit like that, your hair will go into the syrup. And now behold, even as I have said, it has come to pass."




1 comment:

  1. Hilarious. The last two are practically a daily occurrence over at our house. Syrup in hair and loving on (AKA torturing) the poor cat.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!