Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Decorative screens and room dividers

There is a cutout wall in my living room that passes through into the dining room, and I don't like it.  I want to hide it so we don't have to look at it.  I have been looking for a decorative screen for weeks, but I have yet to find what I want at a price I want to spend.  I have, however, found many gorgeous screens at price points far above what I want to spend.

This piece from Jonathan Adler is fabulous, but about $1450  more than I want to spend.
via
Target has a Adler-esque room divider, but I have returned every single piece of furniture I have ever bought from Target, so I am less than impressed with their quality.

via


If I ever find one in my price range to makeover, I am leaning towards spraypainting it bright yellow, like this one.

via

These from Lamps Plus would be lovely.

via 

via

via

This upholstered one is a bit too plain for what I am planning, but I think it would be lovely in a bedroom or dressing room, especially with its Moroccan style top and nailhead trim.

Add caption



Apparently there are room dividers made from art canvas, so you could actually paint one yourself, if you pleased. This has potential--you could easily stencil one of these.



A few weeks ago at a consignment store I found a room divider similar to this one,




but it was $237, far over my self-imposed limit of $50, and so I passed on it.  I changed my mind a few days later and went back to get it, but sadly, it was gone.

Any ideas on where to get an inexpensive room divider for under $100?  My local craigslist has a large selection, but everyone wants $600 for their "hand-carved, valuable antique" pieces.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a room divider. I can't believe you can't find one on CL. People always overvalue their crap don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought I liked screens, but you found some great ones! Good luck searching for one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa, Nice to find your blog and join the One Room Challenge! I love room screens, especially mirrored ones. Do you have a Habitat restore near you? I some some louvered doors there or long shutters you could hinge together to make a great screen!
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!