Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Craft Cabinet

This year has been all about change and making new friends.  I've managed to make a few friends in the past few weeks.  Instead of walking up to a strange kid and saying "Hi, my name is Lisa, wanna play?" (that would be weird, since I'm about thirty years older than the kids) I walk up to the kid's mom and say "Hi, I'm Greg's mom, my name is Lisa, wanna have a playdate?"  Its working out ok, for the most part.  Greg has made friends, I have a friend or two, and now I need to work on playdates for Peter and Princess.  Lots of girding my loins and talking to strangers.

I have also decided that I need to meet more friends who I currently know only in the computer.  So I signed up for the Craft Cabinet, a craft party thrown by Jules and Andrea.  The party was on Friday night, about a half hour from my home, and it was a great time.  I met other local bloggers, including some who actually live in my town or right next door.

I even made a craft. I am not all that crafty--I can paint furniture and wield an iron and hemming tape, but smaller stuff always seems to turn out like crap.  I went for a very low-stress, simple ingredient project:  coasters, from this tutorial over at Hi Sugarplum!  I figured it involved glue, pompoms and stiff fabric, it couldn't be that difficult.  It was pretty easy to do, although I was cursing myself for leaving my good scissors at home--the cheapo scissors I brought frayed the fabric and pompoms a bit.  

I used a placemat I had stashed in the fabric cabinet that was doubleside. I bought some pretty green pompoms, and voila, coasters.






I loved the idea of a craft party--its great for introverts!  You can always ask your neighbor questions about their craft, or put your head down and pretend to work on your own craft if the effort of talking to people is overwhelming.  You could also visit the cupcake bar.


All of the food was excellent.  Yum, cupcakes.  Even the swag bags had cupcakes!  I am all over parties that involve cupcakes.  Also, the party was held at Salvage Life, which had great vintage stuff.  I tried on some clothes but they were too small, boohoo.  (This might have something to do with the cupcakes.)

So! Project Make New Friends Yet Again is going along allright.   Are there other blogger meetups I should know about? How does one find out about these things?


11 comments:

  1. Great meeting you last week at this fun event! And best of luck with the house hunt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, your coasters look pretty darn crafty to my eyes! It was great meeting you & talking SoCal real estate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a lot of fun. Love the coasters...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the coasters, Lisa! Of course if was wonderful seeing you again, too. ;) We are definitely going to have to get together and see if there are any other meet ups going on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud of you!!! California is bringing out the best in ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so nice to meet you on Friday! Yay for Project: Make New Friends - I'm local, would love to get together some time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're totally right about craft parties! I hosted one once and it was an easy way to combine my various groups of friends. It was a "Bring-your-own-craft, or I'll teach you to bead" party and I supplied the wine. This reminds me, I need to have another one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also... I applaud your bravery in making new friends. It's so much harder as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The food looks excellent. And I love your coasters! I totally need to make those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate to your feelings about reaching out and making friends. I went to a gathering this summer where we made postcards for a project, and you're right--it was the perfect kind of gathering for an introvert like me. Having something concrete to do somehow makes it easier to talk. I'm envious (because I live too far away to get together with all of you) but my wheels are spinning for a similar kind of event in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done you on the loin girding - as difficult as that can be for us shy types, it's nearly always worth it, isn't it? Like Rita said above, having an activity to do makes it so much easier too. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!