Thursday, October 4, 2012

Paint a Rug party: reveal

Ta DA!  My painted rug revealed:


Sorry for the yellowy lighting, its an interior room with a teeny window in the shower and thus the light is not that great.


As you saw last week, I tried fabric spraypaint, which was crunchy underfoot and too expensive to do an entire rug, and fabric dye, which looked good and wasn't crunchy, but did not dry even after four days and kept rubbing off when I touched it, which is not a great quality in a rug.

I could not find textile medium at any of the craft stores here, and finally ordered it from Amazon.  After taping off the rug, I mixed it with plain black Valspar paint from Lowes, and used a rough rag roller to paint it on. I only had enough textile medium for one coat, but luckily there was enough coverage that it didn't need two.


Then I dragged it out of the garage and onto the driveway to bake in the sun, since I couldn't run it through the dryer to heat set it. (Yes, the neighbors do think I am weird.)  I could have ironed the rug, but that seemed like a lot of effort.


After a few hours in the sun, I dragged it back in and ripped off the tape.  And voila, striped rug!


This was a really easy project; I don't know why I procrastinated so long.  The taping was easy, as was the painting.  However, to be completely honest, despite the addition of textile medium, the rug is still a wee bit crunchy underfoot.  I would be okay with this in a foyer or mudroom, or a place where I don't spend a lot of time in bare feet.  Unfortunately, my master bathroom is a place where I do spend lots of time without shoes, and thus I don't think this rug is going to stay in this room.  I'll have to find another place for it, because I think it looks pretty good.

You can see my inspiration for this rug here, and the process of making the rug here.

Check out what everyone else did with their rugs:

Chinoiserie Chic
Design du Monde

24 comments:

  1. It does look fabulous! I'd love to hear how it's holding up after a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how clever you are . It looks so good. congratulations on being so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I will have to remember the baking in the sun trick for the next time I ruin, I mean paint a rug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job Lisa! The crunchy part sucks, but like you said, it would be perfect in another part of the house. Plus, you really need to show that puppy off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Lisa. It seems your paint went on the easiest of all the rug painters.. It looks fantastic!
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. lisa, it looks amazing!!! i love it! looks like your inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the lively punch it gives your bathroom, Lisa! Great job with ALL those perfectly crisp lines, impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks exactly like the one wisteria sells for 1K. Great job, Lisa. My neighbors think I am nuts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great and considering that Ikea never has this rug in stock, you have likely motivated many to DIY it! Nice job!
    Cathy @ Room Rx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks incredible. And you can put it anywhere and it will work. I love the pattern you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks just like the original but with a more slightly weathered look - love it! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa your rug turned out beautifully!! I love stripes and you all have been such an inspiration, I will do this project soon!

    Oh, and I am having an amazing Giveaway of Plush Pumpkins from Love Feast!
    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it looks great. I love seeing everyone's rug reveals and finding new blogs to follow - Brandy@ChateauÀGogo

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks great! I hope you find a great spot for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay ... it may be crunchy ... but sometimes you have to suffer to be beautiful!! FABULOUS ... watch out Madeline Weinrib!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crunchy...whatever! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that rug! It really turned out awesome and I bet the crunchy-ness will soften up a bit once you walk on it..
    I think I might actually try this.. Is the rug you used from Ikea?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that rug! It really turned out awesome and I bet the crunchy-ness will soften up a bit once you walk on it..
    I think I might actually try this.. Is the rug you used from Ikea?

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks great! You did an amazing job taping off that pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!