Monday, July 25, 2011

bamboo roman shade recovered

I recovered a bamboo roman shade for our bathroom, using this tutorial from John's Journal.



I may put up curtains, so I haven't taken down that curtain rod up top yet.

Although really simple in concept, the execution was a bit more difficult than I anticipated.  Tip: this would have been a lot easier with two people; one to hold the bamboo and fabric straight while the other applied the sticky fabric to the bamboo.  After two minutes of trying to do it myself, I walked back inside and said "Greg, please go tell Papa that I need his help outside."
Greg, without looking up from the book he was reading, said "oh, he'll be out in a minute."
Thanks for the blow-off, kid, now get upstairs and tell Papa I need his help outside.
SIGH, dramatic eyeroll, Okaaaaay, fine, Mom.

40 minutes later I had completed the entire task.  By myself.  Outside. In heat of 103 degrees.  Second tip: pick a cooler day to do this, since you'll need to spray all that glue in an outdoor area.

I went upstairs and found the Mister and Greg playing Wii in the playroom.  Greg, was there something I asked you to do? "Oh right! Papa!  Mommy wants you to help her do something outside."

Tip #3: make sure you have enough fabric before you start cutting. You'll notice that the shade is not unfurled all the way to the bottom. (Ahem.) 

5 comments:

  1. Kids are great aren't they!? That project is something I never would have thought of. Bravo on the execution, especially as it was done solo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg sounds like such a hoot! But you did a great job on the shade all by yourself! It's awesome in that space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did that yourself?!? Color me impressed, fully unfurled or not. I will endeavor to not let my envy of your Martha-style craftiness overcome my enjoyment in reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your honesty and your humor!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!