Tuesday, July 19, 2011

this will take me till Christmas

So....I've been working on this guy for a while:



What should I call him?  Fred and George are taken, that leaves us with Charlie, Bill, Percy, Ron or Ginny.  He does have long hair, I guess that makes him Bill. Or Ginny.

This is taking forEVER, btw.  Painting dragons is not one of my many skills.  This might be done by the time we are ready to move to the next house.

Normally I wait till projects are done to show you stuff.  However I am thisclose to chucking the whole thing. I have never painted anything on canvas before, and I asked the dumbasses at Pearl if I needed to do anything to the canvas prior to painting and they said no, so I was unaware that I should probably have painted the whole thing with a layer of white (or aqua, since its the background, or gesso?) before drawing on the design.  The canvas is sucking up all the paint, so even though this is clearly going to take me a few months to finish THE FIRST COAT, it will need a second coat (and heaven freaking forbid, possibly a third).  And I do not know if I am up to the task here.  

I actually ordered a 36x48 poster of that image a few months ago.  The problem with taking an image off the web and blowing it up that big is that it might get pixelated.  The poster looks good from far awy, but up close its very blurry.  Its also very shiny and didn't have the texture I thought painting it would bring.

I am seriously contemplating just slapping that blurry poster on the canvas and living with it.  I may have bitten off more than I can chew here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed. It sounds like a lot of work but what you've done so far looks amazing! Don't chuck it just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so pretty! Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!