Monday, July 26, 2010

my sister is giving me a stabby necklace

My baby sister has kindly agreed to guest blog for me while I'm on vacation in Italy.  She is very crafty--she knits, makes necklaces. She has her own blog I'm Super...Thanks for Asking.  Drop by and visit!

I have a new hobby.  Again. 

I pick up hobbies the way a junkie picks up new track marks.  Seriously.  It's like CRACK for me. 

As a bonus, my new hobby is also very self-serving for me.

I adore jewelry, however, for the last 3 years I have been working for an area of the company that I am not allowed to wear jewelry.  It's been so bad, two (out of 8) of my earring holes have closed up...and I can't even go get them re-pierced since I can't wear the earrings long enough to have the holes last. 

However, starting September 13, I will be working in a facility that actually allows me to wear jewelry.  Unfortunately, I haven't really been keeping up with the purchasing of necklaces or earring since I couldn't wear them for so long.

So I've recently started making them for myself instead. 

Initially, all I knew how to do was wire beads together with a pendant of some kind.  These are two of my first attempts at making a necklace.  The one on the left is a little elaborate, but still a pretty basic design. 

However, I LOVE the colors and the pendant and pretty much EVERYTHING about the necklace even if it is pretty simple.  The one on the right was initially for my mom, but she ended up taking a different necklace as a birthday gift, so I still have it. 


I then learned how to use wire to make a more elaborate and "finished" looking necklace. 

This was my first wire necklace and I actually think it's very pretty looking.  However, it kind of sucks to wear because it has a bunch of sharp edges from where I suck at cutting the wires. I'm working on fixing that. 

                                           

I have a made a few more wire necklaces, and I think I'm starting to get better.  I ADORE both of these necklaces. 

I mean, look at the AWESOME wire sculpting I did on the turquoise necklace.  (Ha...I am so modest...).  And the heart. Who doesn't love an awesome pink and green necklace? 

And last but not least, my sister had requested a green necklace so I decided to make one for her today.  I didn't think the pendant would like right with the wire, so I just used simple beading...but I still really like it.  I just hope she does too!

                                         

So, with all these new necklaces, I'm looking forward to having a job where I can wear jewelry again.  Only a month and a half to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!