Sunday, September 18, 2011

dining room picture ledges revealed

If you've been reading for a while, you know that I've been in love with this picture of India Hicks's dining room forever.  We didn't have a place to put a wall of picture ledges in our last house, but here, there are two short walls on either side of the back window in the dining room.







I love the way this came out.  I bought a four large turquoise 17x14 frames from Ikea ($3.99 each) and three Ribba picture ledges ($14.99 each), but other than that, I didn't buy anything for this project.  All of the frames were previously owned, and we re-used the picture ledges that were previously used as book ledges in the kids' room of our old apartment.


 We put up five ledges on each side, 18 inches apart.  Because of the large space between each shelf, I tried to put one extra-large frame, at least 11x14, on each shelf, and fill in with more 8x10s and 5x7s.  I did not have any 17x14 pictures, however, and didn't want to spend a lot of money on expensive mats.  Instead, I put some of the kids' art in the bigger frames.  It adds some nice color and the kids love seeing their artwork displayed.

Princess loves to stand in front of the pictures and tell me who is in each picture, and she tells stories about each picture, which is the cutest thing ever.  Every few days I like to rotate some new pictures down to the bottom two shelves where she can see them.


This room is coming along nicely.  I have a few things that are still in need of paint--the china cabinet, a different chandelier, and the art for over the sideboard.  But its slowly coming together, and I love that this back wall is what I see when I sit on my sofa in the living room.



10 comments:

  1. I'll never understand how you find the time for all this, but I LOVE it!!!! You have a talent, my friend, and I'm super excited you're going to school for it :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! Love the way the frames are arranged! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those drapes make such a statement and I love the green hutch and white chairs. The colors are unexpected and fun! And the photo ledges are amazing. I absolutely love this room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun space! i love all the color that those pictures and frames bring in.

    i love your blog name, lol, and i like finding locals. i'm about 10 minutes south of philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just browsing the roominspiration links and thought, "that looks like a cool dining room." I clicked on it, and low and behold, it's yours! Everything is coming together so nicely in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dining room looks beautiful and the picture ledges turned out great! I am also in love with the green hutch peeking out in the last picture. It's a great color! Thanks so much for linking up to Roomspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is MY kind of dining room! What a wonderful job! I know this took you a long time to complete...it is a precious way to share memories! Glad you partied with Roomspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so great! LOVE it!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm visiting from The Nester's accessory-free post. I love that you included your children's artwork on this wall, AND that you rotate it for your daughter. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!