Tuesday, September 20, 2011

picture ledge gallery inspiration

I am so enamored of the shelf-style gallery, with all the art or photos leaning against the wall and layered on top of each other.  Its also a concept that can be executed in so many different styles. My gallery has a more casual vibe, with frames in every color of the rainbow. You could use the same style of black frame for a more formal look, or thrifted funky frames for a vintage vibe, and so on.

This picture of India Hicks's dining room is what started my fascination.  I love how crammed full of history the shelves are, inviting you to come closer and explore each picture.  The frames seem to be mostly black, brown and gold, which fits into the more formal dining room.



Just in case you haven't seen enough of India Hicks's dining room, here's another side view....I have not found any pictures depicting the entire room.  If you see any, let me know.



I like this room for its large, blown-up photos.  The larger scale looks simpler, and having less photos on the shelf lets you focus on each in turn.




The next two galleries are moody and monochromatic, with a modern look.



There's also the casual, collected over time look.





You can take this concept in so many different directions! Are you as enamored of this look as I am? (I'm guessing not, but I think its fabulous.) 

2 comments:

  1. I really like the one with the orange wall behind it. I am liking this concept - a few years ago, circa 2005, I recall I think it felt too Pottery Barn catalogue-ish for me, but I have to say I'm loving it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH, pretty. I love me a gallery wall. That one up top with the chandelier is just too perfect, very "Royal Tenenbaums" somehow.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!