Friday, September 23, 2011

new blankies

Its been getting cooler here, and soon it will be time to bring out the winter blankets.  My summer blanket is a pretty coral, but my winter blanket is a dark brown stripe that doesn't go at all with my pretty bedroom.  However, its a massive, enormous blanket, its thick and warm, and it covers all five people who end up in my bed every night.  I tried all last winter to find an alternative, but nothing fit the bill.

Instead of trying to find a new blanket that fits our extensive requirements (must not be a duvet, must be quilted, must be enormous, must be extremely warm yet not too heavy, must be a down alternative, and on, and on, and on...), I've decided to attempt the duvet one more time.  I hate duvets. Which is sad, because generally duvets are the most beautiful bedding. But I find that the blanket always slides around the inside and that drives me nuts. Regardless, I will give the duvet one more try.

I've made a few mock-ups of possiblities. I plan on buying two 16x16 chiang mai dragon pillows for the bed, regardless of what duvet I might pick.

I could go with a navy blue duvet, the coral Euro shams I already own, and the chiang mai pillows.  Drawback to the navy blue duvet--that attracts lint and crap like nobody's business.  Yes, I am the kind of person who will take a lint roller to her bed on a daily basis if needed, but that doesn't mean I want to.  Especially since I'm already lint rollering the boys' beds.

Or, I could do the navy blue duvet and greek key Euro shams.

Greek key duvet with coral shams? My fear with this one is that the brown blanket will show through the white duvet, which is very thin.

Blue ikat?  I love this pattern but it seems a bit too cobalt blue and not navy-ish.

Your thoughts?


4 comments:

  1. If you get the kind of duvet cover with the ties on four inner corners (they tie to the comforter), it really helps alleviate the sliding around blanket situation, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the other commenter on the ties for the duvet- it works really well- although I do not like duvets because they seems to seriously hold in the heat and by midnight I'm always sweltering- anyhow- my choice would be for the navy duvet and the greek key shams-although I see what you are saying about how grimy the navy stuff tends to get-it's true, but you do already have the roller out each morning, whats one more bed;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first 2 idea boards but if solid blue duvet is not an option ( I get the lint issue) I would go with the greek key duvet. The ikat pattern is too busy in a strong color which may compete with the large bold stripe curtains.

    http://www.lminteriorsllc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first 2 options the best, but the greek key also looks great (and you avoid the lint issue).

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!