Monday, December 19, 2011

500th post, Christmas Challenge concluded, Kenny Rogers mondegreens

Yesterday's dead rat post was my 500th post.  Here at Chez Trapped we bring you plenty of quality programming.

*************

Thanks to all who participated in my Christmas Challenge.  There were 40 comments, the most ever on any post I've ever had.  I sent $100 each to Feeding America and the Center For Family Services.  It seemed like a nice round number.  I don't have a screen shot of the receipts, you'll just have to take my word for it.  When I made the donation to Feeding America, the receipt noted that since each dollar feeds 8 people (how do they do that??), that $100 donation just fed 800 people.  Woot woot!

Thanks again, everyone.  If you are still in the giving spirit, you can go over to Pseudostoops, who has a similar charity drive, where each day this week she will give 50 cents per comment to a designated charity. (You don't have to do anything more than leave a comment--you can even say "comment". Super easy.)  So go! Say "comment"!

***********
Its December 19th!  I note that I am running out of time to send a holiday card.  I should probably try and take a picture or two of my kids.

I'll get right on that.

***********

I am nearly done my Christmas shopping.  I have gifts for everyone except for my mother, who isn't getting anything because she won't tell me what she wants.  Usually my sisters and I chip in together for a gift for her, but this year my sisters took her to see Kenny Rogers, and I wanted to go but couldn't, so now I have to figure out a gift to get her by myself.

Did you listen to Kenny Rogers when you were growing up?  His greatest hits album was on repeat in my mother's car; we listened to that incessantly.  For years I thought that Lucille had four hundred children and a crop in the fields. Apparently she actually had four hungry children and a crop in the fields.

 I was also terrified that, like the Gambler, the best thing I could hope for was to die in my sleep.  My grandmother taught me the "now I lay me down to sleep" prayer with the last two lines of "guard me all through the night and wake me with the morning light."  But my eight-year-old self always added the "if I should die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take."  Just in case.

**********
Cookie Monster playing Jingle Bells has been very popular in this house.


*********

And how is your month of December going?  

3 comments:

  1. I was listening to the lyrics and realized that I missed A LOT of the meanings in his songs. Seriously, I was SHOCKED when I realized the one song was about a wife having an affair with her husband's best friend. Wha Wha????

    He sang about some dysfunctional people!

    What was mom playing for us as kids???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your 500th post (regardless of topic). Glad to hear that your "friend" will not be joining you for Christmas.

    Kenny Rogers was great growing up, but boy, he does not look like the Kenny that I remember growing up.

    Have a Happy Christmas and New Year! Looking forward to more hilarious posts in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiff--so true! He has had so much plastic surgery he is nearly unrecognizable.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!