Thursday, April 11, 2013

chevrons or a castle for a princess?

In Princess's room I have already painted the wall behind her bed hot pink.  My big plan is to do something like this, assuming I can do the math (debatable; would one of my sisters fly out for the weekend and help me, please?):



But while looking for a decal for the boys room (sigh, I'm really having trouble with that room), I came across this castle, which is awesome.  It is a castle for a strong Russian tzarina instead of an insipid, treacly Disneyfied castle.




That castle in the picture with the baby is the six-foot size, not the three-foot size, so its kind of enormous.  I think it would look awesome over Princess's bed, but, grr, already painted the wall hot pink (four coats!) and I have four non-returnable quarts of paint for the chevrons sitting in the garage, waiting for me to do the math and paint the chevrons.  (I am kind of not looking forward to doing the math, as it involves leveling lines and making a grid.  Plus a LOT of taping off.) (If you want the cons of putting up a six foot sticker, I have done it before and I will say that its harder than it looks and requires a helping hand.).

What should I do? Giant sticker or chevron wall?















x








13 comments:

  1. I love them both. If it were me, I would do the sticker. Because sticker, even with 2 sets of hands needed, equals far less work than chevron wall. And I think that in a year or so, you might be planning to paint over the chevron wall. Is the pink wall the ONLY option for the castle? I sort of love how it's peeking over the dresser - it's rather unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chevron wall will grow with her more than the giant sticker. And... kids love to pick at stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you asked Princess? I think the Chevron looks like a giant PITA to try and paint, especially since you like to change the rooms every few months :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough call. What will you do with the paint if you don't do the chevron? I'm torn on this one. Maybe try the chevron since you have the paint already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chevron wall!!! It's so much cooler, and I agree with Liz: the Chevron wall will still be cool when she's a tween.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, sticker! I like the sticker, and I *really* like the idea that you can just take it down when she outgrows it. If the pink wall directly under the sticker is overwhelming, could you paint a stylized white cloud or something to lie behind the sticker?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sticker! That is seriously cool. But I'm kinda biased against chevron. That said, I think what you really need to do is whatever you truly love most, paint be damned. Going with the paint just because you already bought it is like wearing pants you don't really love (and not buying the new ones you just found that are perfect) because you already bought them. You'll wear them, and buy more stuff to go with them that you think will make you like them more (but it won't), and in the end you'll go back to buy the perfect ones. Which may or may not be there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chevron seems really hard and frustrating, so I would do stripes.

    You already have the paint ... and, I assume Princess already said she likes those colors.

    The castle is cool, but it seems so completely different from what I understand Princess to want :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chevron! Agreed that it could be appropriate into the tween years :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say why don't you paint the mural - that way you get something that is original and you get to use up some of the paints you have already purchased - I'm sure you could make it look amazing
    Kind Regards
    CAthy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chevron....for all the reasons listed above.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chevron is a fad. Like mushrooms for the hipsters or something, chevron is the fad for preps. It's almost over. Do the Russian castle thingie. Then you can get her some Russian nesting dolls too, to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If some one wishes expert view concerning blogging and site-building afterward
    i recommend him/her to visit this webpage, Keep up the good
    work.

    Here is my web-site fastest way to lose weight

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!