Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

The new house has a lovely living/dining room space that runs the whole left side of the house. Or at least it would, if someone had not built a weird half wall separating the two.

Here is what it looked like last week, when we bought the house.


Notice how the wall does not go all the way to the ceiling?  It appears that the dining room was probably used as an office, because that half wall was built right on top of the existing carpet.  The chandelier electrical box in the ceiling was also capped off and these ....weird...lights were installed.


We referred to the room as the Room of Interrogation. (Also good for performing spur of the moment surgeries.) (No one EXPECTS the Spanish Inquisition!) (Between that line and the title, I have hereby exposed myself as no longer a member of the 18 to 34 demographic, I know.)

Today the wall came down.


Let there be light!



Now we just need some paint.

Since 90% of my inspiration pictures have white walls, I decided to paint most of the rooms white.  Its funny, when we first got married I painted our condo every color of the rainbow, and then I went through the beige phase (not pinky-beige! I never went for pinkish beige, I swear, it was a tasteful grayish-brown beige!), and now I am back full circle to all white walls.

There are a million gazillion shades of white out there.  I bought about ten samples, put them on posterboards, and carried them from room to room in the new house, testing them in different lighting.


You can barely see a difference between any of them, right?  I couldn't.  Once we narrowed it down to two we put those two on the wall.  We eventually decided on Benjamin Moore's Mascarpone (the one on the far left).  Its a bright, creamy but not yellowy white.  I started painting the Princess's room with it today, and it looks pretty nice.  

7 comments:

  1. It's so light & bright now! And that corner of the staircase will be perfect for jumping contests (don't lie, you know your kids are plotting out when this is going to happen).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, when I was first married, I made our townhome a rainbow of colors (circa 2004) - like you, I'm now in a white wall phase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing that if you were in the 18-34 demographic, I wouldn't like you so much. :-)

    And tearing down that wall is awesome! Reading this, I looked up and realized that my office is just that shade of pinky beige you're talking about. Could also be described as "flesh"--the color name of Crayolas back in my childhood, a very politically incorrect time in general. And yes, it is awful.

    Can't wait to see what else you do--

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great difference. What a bad idea that wall was, in the first place. Can't wait to see it all evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a huge improvement! Mascarpone is a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it.

    What a great space you have now! Glad the wall was easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, you have such great space to work with. I love white walls, and your natural light is fantastic. It looks much better without the wall.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!