Thursday, August 18, 2011

DIY pink/orange stripe painting

Princess's room has been about 90% done for weeks.  However, there was a blank wall that was stumping me. It took me a while to decide what I wanted to do there.  Then, as I discussed in this post, I saw this striped painting and the lightbulb went off.  

I made two stripe paintings on 16x20 canvases.



The bonus?  I had two 16x20 canvases and paint in my basement, so the project was essentially free to me.  I was kicking myself over all the pink and orange sample paints I threw out when we moved last month, but I still had enough cans left for the project.  

I started by painting both canvases with a coat of white paint (I learn from my mistakes). I then lightly penciled in lines at approximately four equal intervals on each canvas.  I divided the canvas in half, and then divided each half in half again.  My lines were very light, just to give me rough guidelines on where to stop painting.  

I used five paints, almost all of them in a high gloss, because that's what was in my basement.  I also used five different paintbrushes of varying sizes (artist type brushes, not paint your living room brushes), again, going with what was in my basement.  Thus not all the stripes are the same size.  

Then I just started painting each stripe horizontally. I didn't wait for each stripe to dry, I just kept going and tried to keep the lines fairly crisp.  Paint a stripe, put a different color next to it, paint another color next to that, etc.


If you want to try this yourself, I'll note that the paintbrushes gave the best and most even coverage, while the disposable foam brushes left streaks of excess paint at the edges. I had one really cheap brush that I regretted using, because it shed hair every single time I used it, so I was picking hairs out of the painting the entire time.  

Another tip--the more colors you have, the easier it is to not repeat colors too close to each other.  

For the second canvas, I used all the same colors, but diluted them with white, for a slightly different but similar color palette.




You know you're a lawyer when an art project makes you think of the LSATs.  On the LSATs there are logic problems that go something like "Bob has to sit next Mary, Mary can only sit next to Sue, and Sue will never sit next to Robby, but Robby must be within two seats of Bob."  With only five paint colors, this painting was sort of like that--I tried to make sure that each color was not repeated next to, above or below itself, but I was also trying to make sure that the colors were arranged in a visually pleasing manner and used an equal amount of times.  Artists are underpaid, in my opinion.  

Princess said "Ooooooh, PINK!!!  Look at all da PINKS!!!!!  Its BEWTEEFUL Mommy."  All night she kept saying "Look! Pinks!"  As you may have guessed from the glimpses of the room you've already seen, she likes pink.  

I think there might be a reveal for this room soon.  

7 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Absolutely love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! I was wondering if I could do this myself, and now I can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful! I love Princess's room. I kind of want to move in to it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a comment stamp just for you that reads, "Gorgeous! I'm so impressed you did this yourself!" because it's true. Are you tired of me saying it yet?

    And I'm being nice despite the LSAT / logic games (stuff of my worst nightmares) reference. Lalala let's talk about pretty pink paintings again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love when it you can draw a parallel between an art project and the LSAT logic games! But the paintings look fabulous! You are so talented! And I'm so glad Princess loves them too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get the gorgeous mirror!?!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!