Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The living room desk area

Last you saw my living room, the one side looked like this:


This arrangement felt nice--although the chairs are in front of the bookshelves, it felt reasonably spacious.

However, I really wanted a desk.  I had my own desk area in our old apartment, and I miss that.  There is no room here for an office, and the spaces for even a small desk are limited.

I happened to own an ugly little table from Ikea that was the perfect size for between the windows. Voila, desk area!


Except....it feels cramped, and CLUTTERED.  Oh my heavens, does it feel cluttered. Its not just the vast sea of paper that I drown in on a weekly basis (wait till school starts!), but the setup just doesn't feel right. I lived with it for a couple of weeks, and while I appreciate the functionality of having a desk on the first floor, I really don't like the way it looks and feel. There is just too much furniture in that spot.

I moved the table out, and brought the secretary (previously on the other side of the room) over.


The scale works better, and it doesn't look as cramped.  I might wish that the secretary were not so close in color to the blue upholstered chair right next to it, but I can always paint the secretary.  That's way at the bottom of my list, though, right behind finish painting the kitchen and start painting the dining room china cabinet. Lots o' things waiting to be painted around here.

We'll see how this works out, the original bamboo table may make a comeback.  There's also a changing table out in the garage that would be a nice height and would give persons sitting in those chairs a place to rest their drinks. 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I don't like the desk there. The secretary thing looks much nicer :-)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!