Sunday, August 28, 2011

We survived, how are you?

Thankfully, we survived Irene with minimal damage.  Hopefully you all did too.

We decided to decamp to my mother in law's house.  We prepared our house as well as we could, packed all the outdoor stuff in the garage, and moved everything in the basement up on shelving and bricks.  I can't imagine having to actually evacuate--it took us nearly five hours to pack stuff for a three day stay at my mother in law's and prep the house.

Our hurricane experience was pretty plush, we had power, water and AC the whole time.  My mother in law got a little bit of water in the basement, but we had expected a lot more and so had moved everything up, so there wasn't any damage.

She's also had problems before with the bay window, so we prepared by moving the living room furniture away from the window.


That space behind the piano is a nice place to play cards.

Princess loves to play the "red pi-nano".


We spent a lot of time building a Lego lighthouse.

Its a masterpiece (that's about 4 hours worth of building).


We ate lots of delicious dessert (chocolate chip cookie layer, then oreos, then a layer of brownies):

Princess got Grandma to tell her naptime stories.

I went to bed last night at 10, but woke up every twenty minutes the entire night to get up and peer out the window to make sure that a tree wasn't going to fall on the house.  I find it difficult to sleep when I am afraid that I and my family will be crushed by falling trees.  At 4 am I gave up any pretense of sleep and got up and watched the weather channel.  Jim Cantore seemed disappointed that NYC was not having more severe flooding.


I was fully expecting to lose power, water, and have a foot of water in our basement, but our house was just fine.  Towns around us had much more damage; we were pretty lucky.  


So! We are happy to have escaped unscathed.  If you were in the storm path, how did you fare?


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad all's well that could have ended not well! Looks like you had a lovely way to ride out the potential for storm...but honestly, doesn't the presence of a decadent dessert like that sort of guarantee loveliness? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her red piano and the horse in the fireplace.

    Glad you guys are all ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys didn't have any problems. I know how it is preparing and waiting. We had Ike a few years back and it was crazy. We were without power for 15 days -- in the hot summer here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you guys made it through safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear that you guys didn't have too many problems. We were also really lucky. No basement flooding and only lost power for 1 day. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!