Monday, August 1, 2011

productive weekend, and curtains

I had a very productive weekend.....but I didn't get much FINISHED that I could blog about.  The Mister and I built our new bed, and attached the headboard, and hung curtain rods, but I only got two of four curtains made, so I don't want to spoil the big reveal by showing just half the room.  Here's a glimpse.



I also dithered all weekend about what curtains to put in the dining room.  Originally, my moodboard included this Richloom Lucy Eden fabric for curtains, which I LOVE, and I had previously dithered about whether to get expensive curtains or cheap ones and had sort of talked myself into getting the expensive ones.  But last week I sat down, priced out the whole thing, and its over $700.  Which, for my forever house, I would be more comfortable with.  This, however, is not the forever house.  This house is not even the five year house.  So I decided that I would have to do cheaper. MUCH cheaper.

I pulled out the pair of Ikea Stockholm Blad curtains from our old playroom and put them up.  They look pretty good in the room. I like them with the black sideboard and red lamps (it reminds me of one of my favorite little boy's room). They fit the budget, since I'd only need two more sets.


But.

I felt it really did not flow well with the living room.  While the dining room is a separate room, it shares a wide doorway to the living room, and the vibrant greens and reds of the dining room felt kind of clashy with the muted blues and browns of the living room.  Back to the drawing board.


Funny enough, the Ikea Blad curtain comes in a grey and brown version that would work well in the room, for a price I can afford.....but I wanted something a bit more colorful.  So I kept looking.

I didn't find any ready-made curtains that I wanted.  So I got creative.  I'm happy with the price (less than $150 for six panels!)....but....I still have to make five more of them.  I'll leave you with a sneak peek.


Hopefully I will get all these curtains done by the end of the week.  I can't wait to share; I'm really happy with the way everything is coming out.

2 comments:

  1. The curtains you've made/are making look awesome! I am excited to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am IN LOVE with the first picture. I must know how the curtain situation we discussed is working out. Because I love those stripes so much I might have to get some of my own asap.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!