Sunday, August 7, 2011

new china cabinet project

I found this china cabinet on craigslist, and we picked it up this weekend.



It is VIBRANTLY green.  Very, very, very green.

Like, really green.

You know, if I had gotten those Ikea curtains instead of making shower curtain ones, I wouldn't have to paint this at all.  But then I'd be staring at an explosion of green.

I have a few plans for this piece, once my sprained neck lets me off the sofa.

I don't have pretty china to display--I want doors that are solid and don't allow people to see all the junk I need to store inside.  I have mismatched holiday serving ware and pots and pans and craft supplies that are are going to live in this hutch, and they aren't pretty like a nice collection of milk glass. Thus, I'd like to switch out the glass panels for mirrors.   The doors should be relatively easy to do, I just need to pop out the nailed-in trim that is holding the glass in.  The glass panels on the side is a bit more difficult but I'm hoping I can make it work.  Perhaps I might starch some fabric or cover the sides with a pretty fabric. Alternatively I could silverleaf all the windows.

I also want to paint the entire piece.  That green, while certainly eyecatching, doesn't really go with the rest of the room.  The Benjamin Moore Bella Blue that I used on the antique secretary would go really well with the room, but I think I might want to go a bit lighter blue.  I pulled up the Bella Blue paint chip and looked at the colors immediately above it:

The Ocean City blue or the Paradiso are what I'd like to try.  When I'm feeling better I'll go get some paint samples and see what looks good.




5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love it! Too bad you can't use the glass doors, they are beautiful. Mirrors will be fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you found one! That is an amazing Craigslist find. AMAZING. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I vote for Ocean City Blue.

    Very cool piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally jealous. Craigslist in my area has nothing that awesome to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your curtains look lovely! And what an excellent CL find! Can't wait to see how it turns out painted.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!