Thursday, August 4, 2011

Take your top off!

Well, not your top.  I took off the top of our antique secretary.

You may remember that our antique secretary was in the corner by the stairs:



However, that corner is where the return air vent is located.  Since we were having 100+ degree weather in the last few weeks, this was making the  AC much less efficient.  We moved the piece off the air vent to help with circulation.  That Expedit in the corner is also sitting on top of a grate (as is the Billy bookshelf in the other corner--anywhere you might want to put a piece of furniture in this house, rest assured there will be an air vent).  During the heat wave I moved all the furniture off the grates, pretty much into the middle of the room.  It was like living in a furniture warehouse.

Anyhoo, since its still kinda hot the secretary has remained off the grate.  Of course I did not take a picture of this, but the top of the secretary was taller than the stair railing, which made my OCD little self nuts.

So I took it off.


Obviously it needs to be styled (I NEED a horse head lamp, people), but I already like it better than with the top piece.  This could be because the top was shelf-less (still can't find the supporting pins) and full of mail and junk instead of beautifully styled.  But hey, we are topless!  Throw some beads our way!

The top of the secretary is only about 8 inches wide.  I have some stuff in the basement that would look nice up there, but its all delicate stuff, and the bottom of the stairs/in front of the front door/18 inches from the sofa and the ensuing pillow fights seem like a bad place for me to put delicate stuff.  I will be on the hunt for some decorative items that could stand up to being knocked off in the event of a boxing match/flying pillow/child launching themselves off the stairs.

To be honest with you, I see a long narrow open console in this space, rather than the secretary.  I have a feeling the secretary will be joining other homeless furniture out in the garage in a while.

In other news, my dining room curtains are nearly done.  Just two more panels.  And then I can go back to doing fun projects instead of these curtains sucking every single minute of my spare time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!