Tuesday, January 25, 2011

delicious broccoli potato soup

I just made the most delicious broccoli potato soup.  It was soooooo good.  
image via skinnytaste.com
my not-styled version
I have a number of food allergies and intolerances (yes, I am fun to have over to dinner!), and I can't eat most milk products.  This really cuts down on the number of prepared soups I can eat at restaurants.  I haven't eaten a broccoli cheddar soup in years.


I came across this recipe at Gina's Skinny Recipes, a food blog that posts mostly Weight Watcher friendly recipes.  I substituted a lactose free milk and lactose free cheese.  Lactaid Milk or SkimPlus makes lactose free milk, and Cabot Cheddar is lactose free and available in most supermarkets.  If you need gluten free you could skip the two tablespoons of flour, I don't think it would make much difference.  


This soup was rich, delicious and creamy.  The potatoes gave it a thick consistency and it was a savory, yummy soup.  Princess loved it and scarfed it down.  Greg had a fit and refused to eat dinner.  Peter spent most of the afternoon saying "Eww, what's that smell??"  But Princess and I (the two people who actually tried the soup) thought it was delicious.  
**********
On a related note, anyone have a good recommendation for an immersion blender?  I have been making a ton of soups lately, and the mini-Quisinart isn't really equipped for blending 8-10 servings of soup.  

1 comment:

  1. We're so glad you found our lactose-free products. We hate the idea of anyone missing out on our cheddar. Soup sounds delish - thanks for sharing!

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!