Tuesday, April 12, 2011

that rug has got to go

A few years ago, we were talking to our friend Mike, and he said, "I don't understand how my wife turned a $20 gallon of paint into $5,000 of new furniture."

*ahem* Here's how.  (I have not spent $5,000, or even close, but you know, its a domino effect.)

Now that I have such a vibrant blue chair, and a jewel-tone red chair, and my beautiful neutral sofa....that rug is striking me as meh.  I've been trying to hold off---we want to move this summer---but oh, I want that rug out of here.

On a whim I tried moving my Fallon dhurrie rug to the living room.  It looks lovely.

However, and this is a big however, the dhurrie rug is in a a fairly low-traffic area in my bedroom, and it drives me crazy. It doesn't lay flat, the ends curl up, the weave has stretched a bit, and it never stays where I put it.  A few years ago we had a yellow woven wool rug in our dining room, similar to a dhurrie, and I had the same problem--it never laid flat and the weave stretched from the dining chairs being pulled in and out.

I'm afraid (pretty certain, actually) that a dhurrie rug in the living room, a very high traffic area, would be lunacy.  At least for us.  Our living room gets a lot of foot (and food) traffic, and the ottomans are constantly being shoved around. As much as I love the design visually, it would probably not stand up to my kids.

So....I called a designer and she picked a rug for us.  Stay tuned.  

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, exciting! I love the way the dhurrie rug looks, but you're right - it would probably look crazy after being used in that area for awhile. Can't wait to see what the new rug looks like!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!