Sunday, April 17, 2011

two inspiration pics: India Hicks dining room and rainbow stairs

I have had two inspiration pictures at the back of my mind for a very long time.  I saw them years ago, before I started blogging or saving decor inspiration pictures.  Not surprisingly, both pictures are from Domino magazine.

In a fit of "we aren't paying to move all this crap!" cleaning purge a few years ago, I got rid of all my Domino and Cottage Living magazines.  KICKING MYSELF NOW, aren't I?  Its alright, we will soon need a bigger house so I can comfortably curate my Southern Living magazine collection.

Through some concentrated searching this weekend (oh, the things I could have gotten done this weekend had I not been googling the hell out of "dining room picture ledges" and "rainbow stairs"), I found what I have been thinking of for years.

This dining room belonging to India Hicks in her Harbor Island home:

image via Where You Hang Your Hat
I want to duplicate this in my next house.  One full wall of nothing but pictures on picture ledges.  I love the layering, and the way it takes up the whole wall. Note that the bottom shelf starts only about a foot off the floor. Depending on the frames and pictures you used, this could go in just about any design direction--mod, traditional, etc.

I loved these rainbow stairs when I first saw them.  

image via Apartment Therapy

I love that they are bright and vibrant, not quite crazy clown colors, not quite muted--I just think they work really well together.  I don't know if I would have the guts to do this in my foyer, but I think I would totally do it on basement stairs or a back porch.

What's your favorite inspiration picture?


1 comment:

  1. ooooh! maybe my basement stairs need painting! why do i have so many projects and so little time and money?

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!