Friday, April 22, 2011

upholstered bed

If you read Little Green Notebook today, then you saw this featured DIY upholstered bed from Jen at Organized Design.
image via Little Green Notebook

I have been stalking craigslist for a pair of matching twin headboards  for the boys for months, figuring I would paint them, but I haven't seen any that I've liked.  This, however, seems pretty cool. I already have one Ikea bed and I think I could adapt this design.

The bedroom looks like this, and the bedding is a turquoise/navy/green/orange mix:

I'm thinking that a navy blue and white simple graphic would be nice for the boys' beds.  Ideally I'd like a white background with a navy pattern, but I haven't found much like that.  I'm considering these fabrics:
Vertical Stripe White/Navy

P. Kaufman Slick Navy
Mill Creek Oskar Sea
Dwell Studio Bella Porte Twilight
With the exception of the plain stripe, all of the patterns seem kind of busy paired with the bedding.

I love this one (I have a lampshade in a yellow/white colorway), but I wish it were reversed, so that the background was white and the trellis was blue:
Cadence Deep Blue

Or I could do a slightly larger scale chevron, but in turquoise:
Zippy True Turquoise
If anyone has run across a navy chevron, let me know, please.

And then the outlier:
Chipper Chartreuse
I love the Chipper pattern, but it doesn't come in navy, and there's already so much green in the room.

And, if I wanted to get REALLY CRAZY, because you know, I haven't learned my lesson that crafty stuff rarely works out in my favor, I could simply upholster the headboard in a plain dropcloth and paint the pattern on in navy, like this.

We all know how successful my painted shower curtains were.  Decisions, decisions.

3 comments:

  1. That bedding needs an Orange headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the turquoise chevron. Orange would be good. I tried painting dropcloth and it gets really stiff and hard. You could try a design with ribbon or fabric on a dropcloth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH- so many choices- many some of my favorite PP patterns! I think- of the above mentioned I kinda favor the turquoise zippy- for what its worth;)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!