Monday, May 16, 2011

hair and moving estimates

One has nothing to do with the other, I'm just going to talk about both.

Two weeks ago I posted on some possible haircuts I was contemplating getting.  The day has finally come.  I didn't get any of those haircuts.

This morning I was perusing Pinterest and saw this picture, so I asked for something similar, but a little longer.  I've been trying to grow my hair out for nearly a year and had hit that patch of "ugh, this looks terrible", but I knew if I cut it all of I'd kick myself.  This cut had a bit of length but also had the swoopy bang I liked about the Mandy Moore haircut.

image via 
Here's what I got:
How much do I look like my Auntie June here?
It looks like there is a weird layer right in the middle, but there isn't.



I am pretty happy with it.  I would take some more pictures, except without fail, every single time I get my haircut it pours, and my salon-beautiful hair is ruined within ten seconds of walking out the salon door.  Today was no exception.  But it looked good for the ten minutes before I left the salon.

***********

I've been getting estimates from moving companies, and holy cow.  I am choking on these estimates.  Each one is higher than the next.

Two years ago when we moved from outside Philly to outside NYC, I had a four week old infant (plus a 2 and 4 yr old), was still recovering from a c-section, and all of our family was out of town.  We paid the moving company to pack up all our stuff, in addition to moving it, since I couldn't lift anything. Because of the distance and the packing, it was a three day move; one day packing, one day loading up the truck, and one day delivering and unpacking the truck. It took three guys and one very large truck.

Paying the  movers to pack was probably the best money we spent.  They showed up at 9 am, left at 3 pm, and the entire house was packed in six hours without me lifting a finger.  The packers looked like the cast of Deliverance; there were maybe 10 teeth total among the three of them, but they were nice guys and quickly packed everything.

The estimates I am getting for moving, just moving, not including packing, are HIGHER than the cost of the moving AND packing of our last move.

Since moving in here we have acquired five bookshelves, one chair, a sofa, and a dining table.  I don't feel like this should DOUBLE the amount of money it costs us to move.  But apparently it does. I also need TWO trucks and SIX guys to move all our stuff.  And they are so judge-y about it.  "Well, ma'am, it takes time to pack up THIS MUCH STUFF."  As if I'm on an episode of Hoarders, for pete's sake.

I am working on purging the garage, but I don't feel that there is much I can de-crapify within the house.  I like my stuff.  I want to keep it.

If you have a recommendation for a mover in the North Jersey area, I'd love to hear it.


5 comments:

  1. Aww, i like the hair!

    Also, speaking as someone who works for a moving company, the estimates might be high right now because you're trying to move during peak season (aka the summer). I don't know when you moved the last time (or how quickly you're trying to move now), but once Memorial Day hits, we get really busy. If you want, I can send you my work contact info (facebook?); I make no promises, but it might help with costs.

    ~Carolyn R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the haircut. For some reason it surprises me that you don't have really dark hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments :-) And -R-, I have flirted with dark hair once or twice, but I always go back to light brown.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!