Sunday, May 15, 2011

moodboard for Princess's new bedroom

I've been working on a moodboard for the Princess.  Since we live in a 3 bedroom apartment and we've been using the third bedroom as a playroom, she's never had her own room before; she's either been in a crib in our bedroom or in with the boys.  In my head I've been planning her bedroom around this pink/orange curtain for a long time now.


1. Four years ago when I was pregnant with Peter, Pottery Barn Kids came out with this Emmy pattern.  I wanted it then, but since we had two boys, I didn't have a place for it.  About six months ago I noticed that it was being discontinued--ack!--so I bought two Emmy curtain panels, hoping that wherever we eventually move to had only one window in Princess's room. Of course, this house has two windows in her room. Luckily I found two more panels on ebay.

2. This room is going to be heavy on stuff we already have.  Princess currently has a Malm dresser, and it fits in the space, so, voila. I'm open to painting it and putting on some hardware down the road, but I don't think I'll get to that before moving next month.

3. This shadowbox of shoes is an idea I had a few months ago; I even have all the supplies sitting in my attic, just waiting for me to tackle the project.

4. I'd like to get either a gold pouf, or perhaps a chunky knitted one, for resting my feet on when cuddling Princess in the rocking chair.

5. Tissue paper balls would make a nice point of interest over the crib. I have attempted to make these before, and....I am not crafty. I will be purchasing them from etsy.

6. Sock monkeys are so adorable.  Auntie Sarah has already knitted Princess a cute sock monkey.  I would like to print out some pictures of sock monkeys and frame them as art.

7. King Kong poster.  You may notice a monkey theme here (notice that the monkeys are in the curtains, that's what started the monkey theme). I realize that all of the movies about King Kong are about an evil giant rampaging ape, but---its really hard to find a poster of King Kong that is not a picture of an evil giant rampaging ape in flames, or crushing a building, or flinging a tree, or generally looking ferocious.  I like this one of the Peter Jackson movie, where King Kong is merely looking at Ann Darrow, instead of chasing her or waving her about in his fist.  However, I cannot find one in a smaller size; they are all enormous 29 x 41 or some such large, non-standard size.  I like the idea of putting a not-violent King Kong poster in her room, but if I can't find something smaller, it may not make it in.  (Also--cost of framing 29 x 41 poster--$249!!   !!!!!   !!!  Uh, no.)

8. The trellis rug from our bedroom will be moving into Princess's room.  (I've linked to the Bogart rug from Garnet Hill.  We bought ours from Overstock for substantially cheaper; its not currently listed on Overstock but it pops up occasionally. I think its called the Fallon rug on Overstock.)

9. The (massive, discontinued) Lullaby rocker from Pottery Barn Kids that is currently in the boys room will be moving into Princess's room.  It is currently a pale yellow twill that is looking a bit worse for wear.  I am going to try dyeing it a darker color, like brown or olive green.

10. Ikea Bekvam spice racks will be used as book shelves.  There isn't room to do the wall of book shelf ledge like we have now, but I think we can find room for these little shelves.

11.  She has a white crib.

I can't wait till we move in!  I've been wanting a pretty pink princess room for a while now. 

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! I love how it is themed- but not cheesey-from the box at Babies r Us themed- you know? LOVE the gold pouff- or a chunky knit one would be fab too! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable. Just a thought - the silver pouf (out of stock online, hard to find in stores unless you live in a very unfashionable place like I do where no one picks up on these things) from Target's Calypso St. Barth collection might be a good budget substitute, unless of course you have your heart set on gold.

    The shadowbox of shoes is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hush--I'd totally go with the silver Target pouf, but those poufs have been sold out in every Target store in a fifty mile radius since the day they came out. I never even got to see one. I've also considered a chunky knitted one as a more budget-friendly alternative.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! You're commenting! I love comments!